Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

Taraji P Henson Talks About Baby Boy, Oscar Loss and much more with YRB


Taraji P. Henson has become one of Hollywood’s powerhouse actresses, starring alongside the likes of Terrence Howard, Tyrese, Tyler Perry, Mary J. Blige, Jaden Smith, Jackie Chan, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, Tina Fey, and Steve Carrell. The Academy Award-nominated actress further stretched her chops in a Lifetime network original true story movie titled ‘Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story’ which earned her an Emmy nod, and CBS’ ‘Person of Interest.’ 


She recently sat down with YRB magazine to chat about her latest roles, love life, why ‘Baby Boy’ wasn’t just a black movie, why she’s glad she didn’t win the Oscar for ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,’ and why she’s one of the realest ladies in the game:

On Her Realness
“I’m just Taraji from the block. I don’t travel with ridiculous security and a ton of unnecessary people.”

“I think people relate to me because I’m real. What you see is what you get. I am always the same person. Anyone who ever says that I’m conceited or self-absorbed honestly doesn’t know anything about me. If you follow my Twitter timeline, you will see that I really am one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people you will
ever meet.”


On Being Happy She Didn’t Win the Oscar for ‘Benjamin Button’
“I really am glad that I didn’t win the Oscar that year. [African-American actors] have already won awards for playing those types of characters. I’m ready for us to win by [acting in] a comedy or a love story or just something different than the norm.”

On Baby Boy
“Baby Boy wasn’t just a black movie. Everyone can relate to a baby boy to some degree. He is not a color; he’s a person. I remember when John Singleton (the film’s director) sat both myself and Tyrese down in the beginning of filming and told us that he wanted to make a film that people would want to watch 17 times, and judging by how much it has been in rotation, I think John’s mission is accomplished.”

More photos below:




Read more at Necole Bitchie

No comments:

Post a Comment